Sunday, October 4, 2009

Return of TileGamer

I have had to abandon my idea to start a dot-com of databases for non-profit organizations. My former supervisor, Steve Bates, pointed out that most non-profits would be very reluctant to entrust their precious data to some dot-com they've never heard of. Furthermore, I was attempting to build a full-featured dot-com around my Activity Database idea, which was just a simple database, and I just couldn't make it work.

I'm going to perform radical surgery on my TileGamer project. No more proprietary scripting
language, instead Python will be my scripting language. Players will still be able to play all games within their web browsers. I think I have to use things called server-side scripting and AJAX to accomplish that feat. The business model is very simple: play/create 2-player games for free, but only members can play games having 3 or more players. Anyone can kibitz on games in progress, or download/play games in single-player mode. To play multi-player games for free, you must create a user account, entering your name, email address, user ID, and password. Members pay an annual subscription fee of say $24. Only members can download the custom TileGamer Python IDE (game editor), which is extra user-friendly for naive users. Non-members can download the custom IDE, but the games they create with it must be played in single-player mode. Non-members must use their own IDE and FTP client to create/upload their multi-player games.

I've decided to donate my car to a charity called teenchallenge.ca, and cut down my APROM job from 3 to 2 days per week. If I travel at rush hour, I only have to take one subway and one bus, and it takes a little over an hour to get to work (by car it took half an hour). I'm going to email this post to my boss. Go, TileGamer!

No comments:

Post a Comment