Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hiring Mat for Pyxelation

Mat Hopwood will be developing my Pyxelation Game Engine, and I will be paying him at least $7500, or more likely $8500 (at most). Today I submitted my Software Development Agreement (SDA) to him, and he approved it. He gets paid twice for each of 5 milestones (at the halfway point and upon completion). Tomorrow morning I must email him with a proposed amendment to the SDA, in which he's not allowed to compete with Pyxelation for a period of at least one year, starting when the Game Engine is finished. By compete with Pyxelation I mean develop a game creation system with an embedded scripting language. I asked Arvin if my amendment was OK to send to Mat. I will send it tomorrow even if I don't hear back from Arvin. Assuming Mat approves the amendment, I'll sign the SDA, fax it to him, and he'll then sign it and fax it back to me.

I will probably give my Sound Times boss 2 weeks notice that I'm quitting on Jan. 7. After I quit, I'll have 3 days a week to work on Pyxelation. On Tuesday I'm getting a haircut and will go Christmas shopping. I visit Constance the first week in January. As I will be spending almost ten thousand dollars on Mat, it reminds me of the bad old days with Tsehay. At least I will have something to show for all that money (the Game Engine, and Mat will be my contact in the computer game industry). Soon I must learn IronPython. I'll be using that language to implement the Pyxelator (game editor). I learned Python to implement a small part of Treenimation (a predecessor of Pyxelation), which is almost the same thing. I'm an employer now (or at least a purchaser of a service: software development). Not only must I supervise Mat, but I must pay him as well. I hope it works out. Arvin just replied to my email: he wrote, "Looks good!" So that means I can email Mat right after I post this, and then I will watch The National on CBC. Yee haw! My Aunt Helen always used to say "well, that's the main thing." I have a thought cliche that goes: "let's get this show on the road." (A thought cliche is a stereotypical thought that occurs often in recurring situations.) Time to get my last email out to Mat before we both sign the thing and make it official and legally binding. That's one more blog post, in the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment