I am currently in the process of hiring a game programmer, Mat Hopwood, to implement the game engine of Pyxelation. Early this morning I sent him the revised version of the design specs, which is 11 pages long. I asked him to give me a time estimate (no. of hours). He earlier quoted me a rate of $25/hour, and his first time estimate was 400 hours. In my most recent email, I offered to pay him under a fixed price contract (he would be paid on a weekly basis, depending on how many hours he has worked that week). If he completes the project under the minimum no. of hours (say 400), then he gets $10,000. If he completes the project over the maximum no. of hours (say 500), then he gets $10,000 (during the first 400 hours of development), and the final $2500 is withheld until he completes the project. If he completes the project in between the minimum and the maximum, then he receives in between $10,000 and $12,500.
Assuming Mat replies with a reasonable 2nd time estimate, I will offer to hire him, but first I will send him a Software Development Agreement. His being hired is dependent on him accepting the Agreement. I am waiting for my boss Arvin to review the Agreement I drew up today. It was Arvin's idea to specify a minimum and maximum no. of hours, and to withhold the amount paid to Mat for the difference until he has completed the project.
If I hire Mat, then Pyxelation will be closed source. Otherwise, Pyxelation will be open source (free), meaning that anyone is free to modify the source code and develop their own version of Pyxelation, provided that their version is also open source. In case Pyxelation will be open source, as early as this weekend I will modify the Pyxelation web site to include all the info in the design specs I recently sent to Mat. In either case, on Jan. 7 I will give my boss at Sound Times 2 weeks notice that I'm quitting, enabling me to devote a full 3 days a week to the development of Pyxelation.
Last Monday I visited my Aunt Helen, who is 95, and she didn't recognize me (she has Alzheimer's). Yesterday I visited my friend Constance. We went to a coffee shop and I gave her $50 and 2 bus tickets (I do that once a month). Last Saturday my brother, his son and his friend came over for dinner. I served frozen lasagna, salad, and Viva Puffs for dessert, and my brother brought a bottle of wine. Due to a miscommunication, my brother parked on the wrong side of Dundas St., and him and his friend both got $60 parking tickets. I had insomnia on Sunday and Monday nights. This morning I got up very early to work on the Pyxelation design specs, and later went back to bed. I am now well-rested, and took the day off today. Now all I have to do is wait for Mat's response. Bye-bye, Sound Times. Hello, Pyxelation development.
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment