It has been a struggle trying to get my Garzology web server to work. This morning I received an email from tech support at TP-Link, a company in China that makes modems. She assures me that if I follow the instructions in the link she emailed to me, it's possible to do what I want to do (get my web server to work). I am currently renting a different modem from my ISP, a legacy model not supported by the manufacturer. So I'm going to buy the modem from TP-Link, and then it should be pretty straightforward getting my web server up and running (I hope).
My workplace moved a week ago to Tomken + Matheson, about a mile west and a little north of our previous location. There's a Coffee Time nearby where I can buy a sandwich, beef patty, or a muffin for lunch and take it back to work. So I won't have to make a lunch at home and take it to work. So far I've been in the new location 2 days. I have my own room, which is tiny, and a tiny desk. Last day I actually got some debugging work done. In the future I might have a little bit of natural light in my room. It has a window, and on the other side of the window is the back room (the largest room), and on the far wall of that room is a door, and above the door is a window. My window is currently blocked by a partition, but after the upper floor is finished (it's currently unfinished), my boss's brother/partner will move upstairs (his desk is currently on the other side of my window). When that happens, hopefully the partition will be moved, unblocking my window.
It's Easter weekend, and I might work on my Garzology Story Generator this weekend. The Story Generator is the heart of my Garzology web server. The user selects a starting point from a list, clicks on Submit, and a story (collection of related Garzology sentences) is displayed. Clicking on Refresh generates a new story based on the same starting point. I need to define a Garzology grammar, which enables the computer to dynamically generate a story, such that no two stories are identical. I might also visit my brother this weekend. He's currently working the night shift, so I must call him first (or his son or partner) and find out when he's sleeping. The weather today and tomorrow will be unseasonably warm (I'm wearing a T-shirt).
My Fred Victor job (in their Back to Basics program) is going well. Next week I will switch from Thursday afternoons to Tuesdays. Eric, the other math/computer tutor, currently works Thursdays. I might email my regular computer student, Elaine Landry, asking her to join me for an early dinner at a nearby chicken/seafood fast food restaurant (near Fred Victor). Elaine is an older woman; she looks like she's in her sixties. If she declines, I can email Robin, one of the other tutors, asking her out as well. Robin is black, in her 20s or 30s. I don't really need a girlfriend, but it might be nice to explore that particular feature that life has to offer. In a little while I'll have a 2nd cup of coffee, and now I'm going to lie on the couch. Maybe later I'll go to the ATM at Dundas + Bloor (a 5-minute walk) and make a cash withdrawal. I always used to get my cash from (and deposit my cheques in) the ATM near where I used to work (the CIBC branch next to the McDonald's). No more McDonald's lunches for me (although if I'm desperate there's a take-out McDonald's at Dundas West subway station). I must pay the Visa bill today. That's all for now. Happy Easter!
Friday, April 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment