Saturday, March 20, 2010

Garzology: new project

I'm starting a new programming project: a text-based, multiplayer computer game called Garzology. This game (based on my crazy talking) consists of a web site and a Facebook app, both hosted on the laptop which I seldom use, and will be connected to the Internet 24/7. The object of the game is to amass treasures, battle monsters, and enter sentences which are both valid sentences in the grammar of my crazy talking, and contain all words displayed to the user (2 or 3 at a time). The user must enter one of those sentences upon entering a room for the first time. The game consists of the Story Generator and a Multi-User Dungeon (MUD). The MUD consists of a collection of rooms connected by passageways. The user moves from room to room using the arrow keys. The Story Generator lets the user select a starting point from a list, and a different collection of related crazy sentences, called a story, is displayed each time the user presses the Submit button. I'm developing this game in Python, and I'm going to work on it tomorrow. Also tomorrow my brother's coming over to see the 50th birthday card my sister made for me, and I'll order a pizza.

My sister and her daughter think Garzology is a good idea. My sister's ex (and the father of her daughter) is lukewarm about the idea. I haven't ran it by my doctor yet, as he's on holiday for another week. My Garzology game is the prototype for my Pyxelation project (make your own multiplayer games). So far I haven't been depressed this weekend. My sister's partner is moving out, as he has a girlfriend. I talked to her daughter today and she said her mother's going to be OK, and it's not a total disaster that she's losing her partner. So I'm happy that my sister is not totally devastated by this unfortunate turn of events.

I have a volunteer job on Thursday afternoons being a computer and math tutor at Back to Basics, which is downtown. My regular computer student, Elaine Landry, is a smart, older woman (well, she's not that old, somewhat older than my sister). After this Thursday I'm going to send her an email, asking her if she would like to join me for lunch or coffee the following Thursday. She's a consumer/survivor, as she was also my student at Sound Times, which is a drop-in centre for consumer/survivors, and I quit that job several weeks ago. If she goes out on a date with me, maybe I'll ask her out to a movie on the 2nd date. I must trim my beard and cut my fingernails this week.

I hope my sister comes to Toronto to visit me. Her daughter said my sister might sublet her house, and come to Toronto for a visit and/or go to Europe. Everything's going pretty well for me these days, except for my APROM job (I have programmer's block). I better get unblocked soon if I want to keep that job. I look forward to our move a week from now, about a mile from our present location, and still easily accessible by Mississauga Transit (I haven't seen the new place). Tomorrow I might buy a pecan pie for dessert when my brother comes over. I will now watch a little more TV and then go to bed. 'Night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment