Thursday, May 27, 2010

Canersys: a non-starter

A couple of days ago I abandoned my Canersys project. The purpose of Canersys was to rank all Canadian employers by job quantity (amount of pay) and job quality (working conditions). I abandoned Canersys because if you let employers evaluate themselves regarding job quantity/quality, you won't get accurate results. It would be too costly to send a government worker to each employer and interview the employees. My way was to have everyone fill out a web-based questionnaire, but you can't assume people would always be honest in filling out the questionnaire.

About a week ago I created a dialog box as part of my Pygridz project. Yesterday I added up/down arrow key functionality, and enhanced left/right arrow key functionality by adding a line wrap feature. I'm going to work on Pygridz on Sunday, and maybe this evening as well. The next step is to enable users to edit the currently highlighted numeric value in my dialog box, and then to let them add/delete rows in my dialog box. Each row corresponds to a tilex object, which is a set of one or more square tiles.

Today I went to the dentist. I'm getting used to that instrument of torture that squirts water into your mouth; I don't fear it as much as I used to. It used to make me feel that I had a lot of water in my mouth and that I would feel like choking. If I concentrate on breathing through my nose (I'm a mouth breather) and taking deep breaths, I'm less apt to feel like I'm choking. I've already started flossing my teeth, but only about once a week or less. Starting Sunday I'm going to floss my teeth twice a week.

I'm going to have a 3rd cup of coffee after I publish this post. It has been hot and sunny this week (one day broke a record). Tomorrow I must buy groceries. I am reasonably content with my lot in life, and don't feel my lack of having a girlfriend is something I need to change. I don't want to fuck up my single, chore-free lifestyle by being saddled with a girlfriend, and I like my freedom.

Tomorrow I must start thoroughly testing my current project at APROM. After it has been tested, I can start converting our largest software package, SMS, from Delphi 4 to Delphi 6. Delphi is the tool we use to develop our Windows desktop-based software, and features an object-oriented implementation of the Pascal programming language. So we write most of our software in Pascal (unlike Pygridz, which is implemented in the Python programming language). Now it's time to spellcheck/publish and make coffee. Summer's here early this year. I enjoy lying on my couch wearing shorts and a T-shirt, sans air conditioning. So take it easy, blog readers, and I'll blog again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment