Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Coming to Victoria

Letter to Ralph:

I'm going to be in Victoria between Aug 16 and Aug 28. I hope to see you at some point during my visit. I'm going to work on designing the wiring layout of my Computaverse computer when I'm in Victoria, using pencil and paper. My Computaverse theory is that our universe is a computer simulation written by sentient digital life forms who inhabit one computer of many, and who evolved from simpler life forms. Each computer is a 3D lattice of logic gates (the building blocks of computers), and has roughly 10 ^ 20,000 (a one followed by 20,000 zeroes) intersections in the lattice. The total no. of these computers in existence equals 2 ^ (10 ^ 20,000), or 2 raised to the power of a number which equals one followed by 20,000 zeroes.

For over 10 weeks I have been having very little depression. During that time I only called in depressed (missed work) twice, and did not miss any of my computer teaching days, which take place on Thursday afternoons, downtown. I attribute my lack of depression to having begun implementing TileGamer, so I have something to do on weekends, and then I got sidetracked with Computaverse. Also my APROM job in Mississauga is going well. I'm going to take the day off tomorrow. I look forward to designing my Computaverse computer, and putting it into a Word document which I will convert to HTML and upload to my web site. Then I will publicize my theory in various philosophy and computer science discussion forums. Who needs God? Let there instead be logic gates -- LOTS of logic gates.

Any digital computer can be built out of only one kind of logic gate, called a NAND gate (you can also use solely NOR gates), and these NAND gates are all wired together. A NAND gate has 2 input wires and 1 output wire. If the voltage on both inputs is high (representing a one bit), the voltage on the output is low (representing a zero bit), otherwise the voltage on the output is high. Every wire in my 3D lattice is either in a 0 state or a 1 state. Every tick of the clock, all inputs of every logic gate are processed simultaneously, and the output wires are set to either a 0 or a 1 state. I think I will upload this email to my blog, so everyone can see this summary of Computaverse and that I'm feeling better. Not sure how to pass the time tomorrow; maybe I'll begin working on my wiring diagram. So keep up the good work in the natural language coding dept., and hope to see you soon.

MH

No comments:

Post a Comment