Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sound Times Proposal

On Friday evening while at work I went to the Sound Times web site and downloaded their Activities list for the month of September. Then I created a 5-column table of Sound Times activities, like a calendar, in MS Word. Yesterday I got up around 4 a.m. and wrote a 4-page proposal to computerize the scheduling of activities at Sound Times. Sound Times is a drop-in centre for consumer/survivors, where I teach people how to use the computers on Thursday afternoons. My 5-column table would be displayed on their web site, and members would click on the activity they want to sign up for. They also have to sign-in (enter their User ID and password). Part of my proposal was a request to teach computer classes to 4 students at a time, every other Tuesday morning.

This morning I also got up very early and beefed-up my proposal. I also emailed it to my sister several times at various stages in its development, but she hasn't replied yet. I will submit my proposal to my boss tomorrow morning, via email. The most recent change I made to my proposal was to add the following paragraph to the very end of the proposal:

Please note that Sound Times will retain ownership of the source code for this sign-in/scheduling system. If it's successful, we can sell it to other non-profit organizations for hundreds of dollars per customer (doing a Windows port).

All computers at Sound Times are Linux boxes. I have both Linux and Windows XP installed on my home computer, where I would do most of the development. This afternoon I'm going over to my brother's place. My sister has proposed to make earrings for my brother's partner. Also, I want to tell my brother that I'm having my 50th birthday party in Victoria in March, where my sister lives, and that my sister has invited my brother and his partner to that party. I don't think he'll accept the invitation, as he doesn't like to fly. I'm going to show my brother my proposal, and put a bookmark on his computer for this blog, so he can follow my blog more easily (my sister already follows it). If his son Alex is home, I want to tell him that Alt+Left-clicking = Right-clicking in the free software I gave him last Christmas. I'm also going to email my proposal to my brother, so he can admire the colourful 5-column table that fills the first page (time slots are colour-coded by category). I have a colour inkjet printer which I don't use, instead I just use my B&W laser printer. I never got around to installing the colour printer driver in Linux.

Last week I called in depressed on Wednesday, but apart from that my depression has not been too bad lately (but not as good as in June, July and August). Tomorrow I see my psychiatrist. Yesterday I had 4 cups of coffee (my limit), and so far today I've had 2 cups (I'm having another cup in one hour). I'm probably going to hang on to my car this winter. Transferring to the Dixie bus on the way to work is a drag, as I recall, since it only runs once every 20 minutes. I sure hope my boss likes my proposal; only time will tell. Not much interest in working on Computaverse this weekend. Guess I'll lie on the couch for a bit. I'm heading over to my brother's place about 2.5 hours from now. I must floss my teeth today, and have spaghetti for dinner (I'm out of frozen entrees). My goal is to floss every Sunday, and then work towards doing it almost everyday. I wonder if anyone actually reads this drivel I pump out every week (well, my sister probably does). Bye-bye now, my faithful readers, and I'll write again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment