Sunday, July 10, 2011

Depression Rears Its Ugly Head

For 2 weekends in a row I've been depressed, 2 days each time. The depression lifted this morning and I picked up my meds and bought groceries (I missed one dose of my anti-psychotic, as well as the Lipitor to lower my cholesterol). At least I'm generally not depressed when I need to go into the office, like tomorrow (one of our setup scripts has a bug in it). I am resigned to going back to when I used to get depressed most weekends, over 2 months ago. In the past 2 months I've had very little depression, except the past 2 weekends. Hopefully I won't be depressed when I need to go to my APROM job or my volunteer job.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, today I hope to work on my Scrabble game. I haven't worked on it in a while. Last week I created the pi-gap.com web site (the "I" is a "Y", no hyphen, 2 "P"s just before the dot). I intentionally misspell it so Google won't display my blog when someone searches for my project name, which I refer to as pi-gap.

Today I cut out from the Report on Business in Saturday's Globe and Mail an article about Zynga Inc., the world's biggest developer of Facebook games. They just bought a Toronto company, mobile apps developer Five Mobile Inc. Last year Zynga attempted to purchase Canadian mobile-gaming startup SocialDeck, but Google bought them instead. I hope that some big company will want to buy pi-gap.com, after I have some working software and real customers. The article mentioned the Digital Media Zone at Ryerson, a workspace for small tech startups. I might want to contact DMZ when my pi-gap project is a little further along. I think Zynga makes $200 million per year from their Facebook games, and they make most of their money from their users purchasing items from Zynga within their Facebook games.

Due to the fact that I'm now not allowed to go back to bed (no need for that, the depression has lifted), after I publish this post I will read my pi-gap.com web site once more and then do some work on my Scrabble game. At a bare minimum, I intend to make a trivial change, such as modifying the title at the top of my Scrabble game's web page, and write down the 2 commands I need to use at the DOS prompt. The first command lets me test my changes locally, and the second command uploads (deploys) my changes to Google's server. Those 2 commands are included in Google's documentation on their app-engine web pages. Hopefully I will also test my Scrabble game on 2 computers simultaneously: my desktop and my laptop. I've already done that last time I worked on my Scrabble game, over 2 weeks ago, but I need to do it again before I can move forward with my pi-gap project. (I just devoted a new file folder to my pi-gap project, enclosing an old printout of my web site and the Zynga article.) Four weeks to go until my vacation: hopefully my Scrabble game will be working by then. Off I go into coding land, with a pit-stop at pi-gap.com. Maybe later I will have a 3rd cup of coffee. Gotta go, my Scrabble-related Python/JavaScript code is waiting for me. See you later, in the blogosphere or via email, whichever the case may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment