Thursday, July 1, 2010

Picking the First Option

Yesterday I emailed my sister, including in that email the following 3 career options I currently have at my disposal:

  1. Work at APROM 3 days a week, for 5 to 6 hours per day, at $15/hour = $975 to $1170 per month. My expenses are roughly $1500 per month, so I would continue to withdraw $500 per month from my mutual funds as investment income. This is how it is now, although I haven't been working as many hours lately.
  2. Work at APROM 5 days a week, for 5 hours a day plus 2 hours per day working on Pygridz (at APROM). I would buy a car. Income = $1625 per month, no need (or very little need) to withdraw any investment income from my mutual funds.
  3. Get a higher-paying full-time job as a database programmer. Don't worry, Arvin, it's highly unlikely I will choose this option. I like my present job just fine.

I like the first option. It's been almost 5 weeks since I stopped being depressed. Two days ago I went out on a date with a woman I met at Fred Victor Centre, before I was hired at APROM 14 years ago (I ran into her on the streetcar last week). She's going to call me a week from now, and I might teach her computers at Back to Basics that day, which is the Fred Victor program where I volunteer as a computer tutor one afternoon a week.

In a little while I'm going to have a 2nd cup of coffee, and then work on Pygridz. I must write the code that underlies 3 dialog boxes: Pattern Master, Pattern Master-Detail, and Pattern Detail. This morning I paid the Visa and property tax bills, and transferred $3000 from my ING savings account into my chequing account. I was short on cash as I've been working for free the past 5 months. Last week I stopped working for free. Today I might buy groceries, as I'm out of orange juice. So it appears that everything's under control and unfolding rather nicely. Happy Canada Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment