Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pixelation as SDK for App Engine

I changed the name of my games program from Clixmaker to Pixelation. Note that Pixelation is deliberately misspelled: in the real name, the first vowel is a Y instead of an I. The reason I changed its name is that my blog comes up in the search results when you google clixmaker. My blog is private and I don't want strangers to read it. From now on I will refer to my project, in this blog, as Pixelation, even though its first vowel is actually a Y. I don't want people to google my project name and end up in my blog.

Pixelation is not just for games. It's a tool (Software Development Kit) that lets you create Google Apps for the Google App Engine. It makes money by enforcing a rule that non-members using its apps cannot write data to the data store. However, non-members are allotted one configuration record on the Pixelation server, for only one app at a time. Members must pay me a subscription fee of say $20 per year. The other way it makes money is through Google AdSense. Every time a user clicks on an ad, Google pays money to the app writer. I may decide to share 50 percent of the subscription fees with the app writers. They each receive an amount in proportion to the popularity of their apps, measured by the no. of session-days. Every time a user uses an app for the first time in a given day, a record is created in the Pixelation Usage database containing the User ID, the App ID, and the date. The total no. of records for a given app is how its popularity is measured.

All Pixelation apps are written in the Python programming language. Like many Python-related tools, its name starts with "Py". Also, all Pixelation apps are web-based. To run an app, let's call it "mycoolapp", you visit the following address using your web browser: mycoolapp.appspot.com. These apps are compatible with all web browsers (except Internet Explorer 8), even on tablet computers and smart phones.

Tomorrow I have to have a colonoscopy, so I can't eat or drink anything today (after breakfast) except clear fluids, until after I have the colonoscopy. In the past 7 weeks I've had only one day of significant depression. Next month I must begin the process of applying for a passport, beginning by filling out the application form online and getting passport photos taken. My psychiatrist will be my guarantor. Now I intend to lie on the couch. I wish I could drink more coffee. Maybe I will have a nap, if I'm lucky. Enjoy your pixel-viewing activities, all you potential Pixelators out there. I'm outta here.

No comments:

Post a Comment