Sunday, June 5, 2011

Putting the Kibosh on Depression

I have been depression-free for 4 weeks. Almost 2 months ago my antidepressant dose was increased by 50 percent. To find out the 7 things I do to prevent depression, click on About Me. The 7th item in that list is perhaps the most important item: not going back to bed. I always have to stay up until 9 p.m., preferably until 9:30 p.m. Depression is like an addiction with me. When I used to give in to an almost irresistible urge to take off my clothes and crawl between the sheets, after my head hit the pillow it felt great for about 15 seconds, then the suicidal thoughts would kick in. Just like my sister's friend who used to be addicted to cocaine, I used to be addicted to going back to bed. He doesn't allow himself to use cocaine anymore, I would think, and I don't allow myself to go back to bed anymore.

Today I have to start making my single-player Scrabble game a multi-player game. Yesterday I wrote a little subroutine (piece of code), which will replace an existing subroutine called "setPlayerIdx". The new subroutine is called "changePlayer". Incorporating that subroutine into my Scrabble game's code is the first step in making it multi-player. Also yesterday I went downtown for my pre-colonoscopy assessment. In 3 weeks I have to have a colonoscopy, which doesn't sound like too much fun. The doctor gave me a choice between having sedation or no sedation when I have my colonoscopy, and I chose no sedation. That way I don't have to get my brother to pick me up and drive me home afterwards (he usually works the night shift).

I'm not going to look for entry-level web developer jobs anymore. Developing Clixmaker will be my job. If Clixmaker doesn't make money then at that future time I will look for web developer jobs. After I finish making the multi-player Scrabble game, I will ask my boss (at APROM) if he wants to partner with me. He would own 50 percent of Clixmaker.com. Right now my only APROM duties are making software releases, which only happens maybe 2 days a month.

I'm going to lie on the couch and finish my 2nd cup of coffee. Then I'm off to my coding duties (working on my Scrabble game). Today I went for a 30-minute walk, which I try to do every day. I must apply for a passport soon, as I'm going to a wedding in Panama in January 2012. No need to buy cancellation insurance for my flight to Panama (or my flight to Victoria in August to see my sister), as I'm in good mental health these days. I look forward to seeing my shrink on Wednesday, and telling him the good news about my lack of depression. For 38 years (since puberty) I've been experiencing depression, usually once or twice a week: no longer. Bye-bye, depression. Hello, good times (assuming I don't have colon cancer). Malignancy or no malignancy, my Scrabble game awaits me, so it's time to wrap up this post. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment