Sunday, September 26, 2010

Clixmaker: make your own games

Clixmaker is the latest incarnation of my games program. This tool and web site enables both programmers and non-programmers to make their own multiplayer games, and these games run in a web browser. My programming language will be JavaScript, along with Canvas and HTML5, enabling Clixmaker games to run on almost any computer, including Macs, iPads, and smart phones.

Today I went through a tutorial that demonstrates how to make a simple platformer game using JavaScript and Canvas. So now I know at least that what I want to accomplish with Clixmaker is possible. My next step is to read the JavaScript book I ordered from Amazon, which should arrive tomorrow (or Wednesday at the latest), and create a tile-based game framework using JavaScript and Canvas. The user can use the arrow keys to move around the game grid, which scrolls in one of 4 directions so that the user is always in the centre of the game window. Eventually I have to make it multiplayer, which is probably the hardest feature to add in the initial stages of implementing Clixmaker. In my initial game framework, all game objects will be single-tile simple colored shapes, like squares, circles, and triangles.

I wrote an email to my boss, Arvin, which I will send to him tomorrow morning. My sister's ex, Ralph, advised me to delete parts of that email, and make a couple of other minor changes, to make it sound more businesslike. That email asks Arvin to take ownership of Clixmaker and pay me royalties. That way I can concentrate on software development, and let others worry about running Clixmaker.com after the web site goes live.

I have to buy groceries and floss my teeth today. I have 3 hours until it's time for dinner. Hopefully I will be less depressed this fall, as I will have Clixmaker development to keep me busy. In July, and more so in August, I was more depressed than usual. Maybe after I buy groceries I will go for a walk (I need the exercise). After that I will have a 3rd cup of coffee. Time to make a shopping list. The weather's nice today but it might be a little cool outside; I may need a jacket. Rain is in the forecast for Monday. I look forward to many months of Clixmaker development ahead, while continuing my part-time job at APROM and of course writing lots of blog posts. Thanks for listening, dear blog reader, and I'll probably blog again on Thursday or Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment