Thursday, January 13, 2011

Catastrophic Jug Cap Failure

Today for the first time (and hopefully the last time) in my life I experienced Catastrophic Jug Cap Failure. Usually I buy the store brand orange juice in 2.63L jugs, with screw-on jug caps. Lately the brand name version has been on sale, with jug caps you press down on to snap them shut. This morning I neglected to put my hand over the jug cap as I shook the jug up and down, and the jug cap flew open. There was juice all over the counter and floor, and I had to take my shirt off and change my undershirt. I never used to wear undershirts but Maria (my cleaning lady) recently bought me 4 of them.

Yesterday I emailed a woman that I help at Back to Basics, who I will call Grace Bertram (she doesn't like to use her real name when she goes online). I asked her out for coffee on Tuesday after Back to Basics, but she hasn't replied yet (I have known her for over a year). If she does reply, I will modify this post by summarizing her reply at the bottom of this post.

Also yesterday I emailed my boss, asking him if he could give me more work, and he replied in the affirmative. So starting next week I will go in to the office every Thursday. The previous arrangement, which had been in effect since the middle of December, was that I only go in to the office when they need me, so it would have been on an on-call basis. I need to make more money in order to not deplete my savings (or at least to deplete them at a slower rate).

Yesterday I copied/pasted some of the Cairo-related Python code from the demo into my own Clixmaker project (Cairo is my graphics toolkit). It was surprisingly easy to get that code to work within Clixmaker. I will hopefully do some more work on Clixmaker this morning. In the afternoon I see my psychiatrist, and I will tell him about my new arrangement at work, and that I asked Grace Bertram out for coffee. I'm going to invite my brother, his partner, and their son over for dinner next weekend. My sister will visit me towards the end of next month. My friend Constance usually calls me everyday (often 2 or more times a day), but between now and Dec. 29 she has only called me once, in the first week of this month.

So I guess I will publish this now, and get busy writing Python code that draws rectangles. The first 2 features of the game editor I want to implement enable the user to draw rectangles and ellipses. In a recent email to my sister I compared my life now with a hot fudge sundae with whipped cream (and if Grace has coffee with me that would represent the cherry on top). Last weekend I was depressed. I am optimistic that working at APROM every Thursday and on Clixmaker the rest of the time will help keep depression at bay. Life's good (at least between depressions) when you have your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment