Last week I was depressed 2 or 3 days, was less depressed on Friday, and was not depressed at all on the weekend. I am making progress on my Arachneuron algorithm (a computer model of the human brain). From now on my friend Constance, who has schizophrenia and is homeless, is not allowed to visit me between 2 p.m. and 2 a.m., when the concierge is on duty. At other times, she can only visit me if she calls ahead and doesn't take a taxi. She has made trouble in the past, and sometimes the concierge must call the police. I think I will buy a futon instead of a couch. The futon will go across the room from my armchair, next to the TV (where the stereo is now). The stereo will be moved to the other side of the room, next to the thing that's on wheels where I store files (that thing is to the right of my armchair). When I watch TV, I will sit on the armchair, instead of lying on the sofa bed that I threw away. I'm going for a walk this afternoon.
This paragraph is a little technical, explaining the basics of my Arachneuron algorithm. At a low level, Arachneuron recognizes patterns, such as a set of letters that make up a word, a set of musical notes that make up a melody, or a set of features that make up a face (2 eyes, a nose, and a mouth). Let's assume that Arachneuron has made a prediction of what pattern is coming next. Let's say that Arachneuron is expecting to "hear" the name of the university I graduated from (DREXEL). Let's also assume that the letters Arachneuron is hearing are a perfect match. On the first scan, Arachneuron compares the set of incoming letters with the set of letters in the word DREXEL, treating both sets as a mathematical unordered set. If it's not a perfect match, 2 comparison lists will be generated: a list of extraneous letters, and a list of missing letters. In this case, both of those lists will be the empty set. Then Arachneuron makes a 2nd pass, treating the set of incoming letters and the set of letters in the word DREXEL as ordered lists. The 2 comparison lists, whether they are empty or non-empty, help Arachneuron handle errors found while scanning in the 2nd pass. If Arachneuron finds any errors, the cortical region that contains the word DREXEL sends those errors to its parent cortical region, otherwise it sends an OK signal to its parent region. A cortical region in the human brain is let's say the size of a dime (although many of them are the size of the letters in this paragraph). The entire cortex (the thinking part of the brain) is the size of a dinner napkin in surface area. Cortical regions are organized in a hierarchy.
I'm going to go for a walk soon. It's partly cloudy and mild. Then I'm going to have a 3rd cup of coffee. In a couple of hours I will have dinner. On Sunday evenings I watch TV from 6 to 10, taking a break from 8 to 9. I watch the news and 60 Minutes. Tomorrow I must return an overdue library book, even though it's going to rain tomorrow. I bought a laptop recently and it will be shipped to my workplace in Mississauga. Time to get some fresh air.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment