Thursday, April 9, 2009

New Couch

On Saturday I'm going to buy a new couch. Two days ago the concierge and his friend helped me move my sofa bed to the garbage room. My sofa bed was dirty (it was white) and sagged in the middle. Also, it was uncomfortable to sleep on, and if you slept on the sofa part of the sofa bed, it was too short. My sister is visiting me next month and she needs somewhere to sleep. This morning I'm going to shop online for a couch. This afternoon I go downtown to my job at Sound Times, where I teach members how to use the computers. This evening I must go to the library to return a book, and pay a 60-cent fine. What a drag not having a couch to lie on for the entire Easter Weekend.

I'm still waiting for Javier to send me the 2nd Java tutorial, which is about using Java to develop a game server (I already sent him 2 Python tutorials). That's the first step in implementing JZoneGamer, which is a software tool I'm developing that lets you create your own multiplayer games. Javier's helping me learn Java, and I'm helping him learn Python.

Yesterday I took public transit to work, which takes up to an hour and a quarter (it takes half an hour to drive). I want to get rid of my car this summer and stop driving. I would save money (I don't work long hours, and I'm part-time, so I can't really afford a car). Also, not having a car is one less thing to worry about, and not driving is good for the environment.

Taking public transit to work: leave condo at 10:50, walk to subway, go westbound to Islington station, catch Dundas bus at 11:16, get off at Dixie, wait 5 minutes for Dixie bus (11:41), get to work by noon. Note that if the subway is delayed and I miss the 11:16 bus, I must wait up to 20 minutes for the Dixie bus.

Taking public transit from work: leave work at 7:40 p.m., catch Dixie bus at 7:45, get off at Dundas (in Mississauga), wait 5 minutes for Dundas bus (8:05), take Dundas bus to subway, take subway eastbound to Dundas West Station, walk north on Dundas or take Dundas bus (in Toronto), get home around 8:45. Note that the Dixie bus runs on a schedule, so I can call 615-4BUS to find out when the next 2 or 3 buses are scheduled for my stop.

So, basically, everything's under control and I'm hoping that in the next little while I manage to keep depression at bay as much as possible. Today I'm going to ask Steve, my supervisor at Sound Times, if I can go to the next meeting of the Writer's Collective and tell them about my blog. He might veto that, as I would have to tell them that I have schizophrenia. Steve doesn't know that I have schizophrenia; I would warn him that my blog goes into detail about my symptoms, and if he OKs my telling people about my blog, I would then tell him that I have schizophrenia (after asking him if it's OK to tell him my diagnosis). They already know that I'm a consumer/survivor. I understand that all their employees are consumer/survivors (people with mental health issues). I have about 90 minutes to kill before I go to Sound Times. Today is sunny and mild. I think spring is finally here.

No comments:

Post a Comment