Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sunny day w/o depression

Today is sunny and cool, and I'm going to go for a walk (it's Easter Sunday). Afterwards I'm going to continue reading a free online book about Internet game programming with Java (so far I've only read the first chapter). The past 2 days I've been depressed, but I'm not depressed now. That's a typical pattern with me: on Saturdays I read the newspaper (for hours) and get tired, lethargic and depressed, and on Sunday the depression lifts.

Almost every Sunday evening I watch TV for 3 hours: the CTV news at six, 60 Minutes, take a break for one hour, and Sunday Night on CBC Newsworld. I often used to email my sister on Thursdays and Sundays, but now instead I'm going to try to write a blog posting on those days, and email my sister less often.

I must try to buy a new couch on Tuesday. I threw away my old sofa bed, and I miss having a couch to lie on. I'm going for a walk now... I'm now back from my walk, having eaten 2 frozen waffles w/ syrup, and I'm drinking my 2nd coffee of the day.

My friend Constance just called me. She visited me 2 days ago, and I gave her $50 plus $17 for the taxi. I give her 50 dollars per month. She is Nigerian, has schizophrenia, uses crack cocaine, is homeless and lives in shelters. I met her about 16 years ago when I worked downtown at Fred Victor Centre. At that time she lived in the rent-geared-to-income housing provided by Fred Victor, but then she was evicted. A few years later she was psychotic and stayed outdoors for several days during an extreme cold spell one winter, and got severe frostbite in her fingers, which had to be amputated. She still has her thumbs, but lost her fingers. Yesterday I was depressed and Constance tried to visit me, but I wouldn't pick up the phone to let her in. She knocked on my door and I still wouldn't let her in. Today I told her that the reason I didn't let her in was because I was asleep (which wasn't true).

I must try to do some reading up on Internet game programming with Java this afternoon. If I read that free online book it will give me a more solid foundation for learning Java, and in particular network programming, in the future. I will need that Java expertise to implement JZoneGamer, a software tool that lets you create your own multiplayer games (a hobby of mine, or more accurately an obsession of mine). I started designing JZoneGamer over 10 years ago, and the time has come to begin implementing it. So I guess I should stop writing, post this, and start boning up on Java.

No comments:

Post a Comment