Today I woke up around 1:30 a.m. and got up at 2:00. The previous day I found out from Prak (the brother of my boss Arvin) how to set up a home local area network (LAN), and bought 2 Ethernet cables. After I got up I made coffee, and plugged the 2 computers that weren't already connected into my modem/router. Then I turned on all 3 computers (my Dell desktop, my Acer laptop, and my antique Pentium II desktop). I tested Internet sharing and it worked. Then after much fumbling about I got file sharing to work. I'm going to leave printer sharing for some other day. Each computer has a C:\Shared directory. Whenever I want to transfer a file from one computer's hard drive to another computer, I must first copy it into the Shared directory. I then encountered a problem in which a message would keep popping up that my network cable is unplugged, and that message would quickly disappear. Consequently I had difficulty emailing and browsing the Internet, so I came up with a temporary workaround: unplugging my laptop and P2 desktop from my router. News flash: I just replaced the old network cable in my P2 desktop with the other new cable, and that seems to have fixed it.
Later I replied to an email that Robin sent me yesterday. Robin is one of the tutors at Back to Basics. I quit volunteering there a few weeks ago, but I attended the Volunteer Appreciation Celebration last Wednesday, and Robin was there. I believe that Robin has a partner/boyfriend named Peter. Robin is going to make a copy of some movies for me, and I'm going to pick one. I also emailed Arvin's aunt, Dia Daljit. One or two months ago I said I would help her develop a web site, located at http://www.canadaspeaks.ca. That web site is a forum for Canadians to speak out about various issues. She emailed me yesterday, and I replied that I no longer want to be a part of that project. Later today I read both the Friday and the Saturday Globe and Mail (newspaper). I also read a magazine called SZ Magazine, which is about schizophrenia. About 30 minutes ago I returned from grocery shopping at the supermarket and picking up my meds at the drug store. This afternoon I intend to do some more reading: the free online book that's about programming games in Java. It's very warm and partly sunny today, and it might rain this evening. I'm drinking my 3rd cup of coffee now, so I probably won't sleep if I go back to bed. My ex-brother-in-law might buy my car this summer. He lives in Montreal and is probably splitting up with his partner, so he might relocate to BC. I might drive out there with him, as I'm visiting my sister in Victoria this summer (who is visiting me a week from now, for 10 days).
Last week I was depressed on Wednesday and Thursday. I was somewhat disappointed when Robin used the pronoun "we" and mentioned Peter's name. Prior to that time I wasn't sure if Peter was her partner. The next day I called my boss at Sound Times, getting his voice mail. I told him I wasn't coming in as I wasn't feeling well. On Friday I went to work at APROM in Mississauga and felt better. Maybe later I will try plugging in just my laptop and main desktop, hoping that will solve the "network cable is unplugged" problem (never mind, problem fixed). I can always ask Prak how I can fix that problem, when I see him next week. I guess if I get bored I can go for a walk today (walking is my only form of exercise). The other day I fixed a problem with my laptop in which the left shift key is tiny and hard to reach. I downloaded a resource kit from Microsoft, and that kit includes a keyboard remapping utility. I used that utility to swap the left shift key with the larger and more conveniently located Caps Lock key. I can live with the Caps Lock key being tiny and hard to reach. I enjoy my hobby of mucking about with computers, as there are always new problems that keep cropping up, especially when you develop software, and it's fun to solve problems. I must call my brother today and ask him if his partner has finished doing my taxes yet. That's about it for my rambling on and on, I'm going to post this and sit in my armchair.
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment